I recently ran across a couple articles where the writers listed what beers they would want if they were stranded on a desert island. The first was from the guys at BeerAdvocate where they listed 5 beers. The next one I came across took it to six and why not? A six pack is more noticable in the beer world.
So this got me thinking to what I would bring with me if I could take six beers on a desert island. So here is my list.
1. The first choice will have to be a nice refreshing wheat type beer. These are always good on hot summer days and being on a desert island will definitely be a hot day. It was a tough choice but I think I am going to go with Allagash White on this one. It was tough because I think Ommegang Witte or Avery White Rascal would do good as well I just feel the great refreshing quality of Allagash White wins this one out.
2. Next I’m going to go with a nice easy to drink lager that is also refreshing. To me this was a no brainer as I’m going with Samuel Smith’s Pure Brewed Lager. A lot of other people say that Victory’s Pils is great but we don’t get that down here in Florida and I have not had it yet. So I’m going with what I have had and know.
3. The next one may be a little odd but it is just so good. I’m going with Ommegang’s Chocolate Indulgence Stout. Yeah you wouldn’t really think of stouts being something to take but this is a lot thinner in body than most stouts and is just wonderfully made.
4. I got to have a nice hoppy beer of course and I’m going to agree with one of the other lists and take Bell’s Two Hearted Ale. This to me is the perfect example of an IPA and one that I recommend to people that have never had an IPA before. It doesn’t go overboard and just does everything right.
5. I’ll take Captain Sig’s Northwestern Ale from Rogue next. It is just a great flavored beer that is not too heavy and just very smooth. Plus the water theme adds to it.
6. Lastly I’m going to go with Spaten Oktoberfest Ur-Marzen. Many people don’t think this compares to a lot of the other marzens out there but I just love this one. It’s sweet and malty and just goes down easy. It is exactly what I would want to be drinking at Oktoberfest, if my local one actually carried Spaten products.
I tried to stay away from heavy beers on this as I am on a desert island for the scenario. I went with mostly refreshing and easy to drink beers that would make the hot days a little easier.
I want to hear what your six pack would be. Leave a comment and let me know!